Do you need to have your wisdom teeth extracted? Are you concerned about the procedure? After you get your wisdom teeth extracted, you will have to go through a brief recovery period. For most people, this period is going to be only a few days.
Healing Process Tips
During this time, you will want to take special measures to expedite the healing process:
- Periodically bite down gently on a gauze pad to check for bleeding. If you’re still showing blood twenty-four hours after your operation, contact the dentist.
- When you lie down, prop your head up. Lying flat can encourage bleeding.
- Avoid sucking, as this can loosen your blood clot and cause bleeding. This includes sucking on a straw or a cigarette.
- Favor soft foods, and gradually introduce solid foods as you recover.
- Apply an ice pack on the outside of your cheek for fifteen to twenty minutes at a time in the first twenty-four hours. After that, switch to a warm washcloth for the next two or three days.
- After the first twenty-four hours, rinse your mouth out with warm salt water a few times a day to help with any pain or swelling you may experience.
- Take it easy; too much physical activity can cause bleeding.
Contact Song Dental in Lynnwood
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact Song Dental. If you think you may need to remove your wisdom teeth, make an appointment with us for a consultation.